Check out fiatjaf's thread from earlier today discussing (@#).
It gives user maximum choice.
Some ideas that would be interesting to explore:
- A file provider like https://nostr.build but offering torrent seeding instead of direct downloads
- A platform for turning torrent magnet links into images (caching them briefly)
- Nostr clients uploading stuff (small images) to these torrent providers and inserting the magnet links in the notes
- Nostr clients that download render magnet links as images (if file size and content-type are applicable)
- Nostr clients that don't want to download torrents directly can turn the magnet links into normal image links from the aforementioned platform
I think this enables somewhat decentralized image-hosting:
- The torrent metainfo/magnet is derived from the file content for each image doesn't change, so even if one provider (or yourself) goes offline it can be in multiple others
- Since the magnet link doesn't change even if the provider that turns magnet links into HTTP images dies, the clients can just replace it with a different one, the notes do not lose their content
- Each of these steps can be done by different people, with different degrees with redundancy, cost and pricing